Growing in meditation
As my meditation practice grew, I noticed I was making better decisions. I felt more grounded. Some of my best ideas surface when I’m supposed to be transcending thought.
ABC Nightline anchor Dan Harris, author of the best seller “10% Happier”, wrote, “Meditation is just simple brain exercise. I exercise and this makes sense to me … Meditation is training yourself to see your own inner chaos so that it doesn’t own you.”
With few exceptions, I meditate daily after waking and before sleep. The more time spent meditating the better I am able to cope with the most challenging issues in life.
Claudia and I never married, but over the years, we worked together to raise and guide our daughter Abby. Today we are close friends, as are our spouses. Claudia’s husband and I have tag-teamed fathering Abby for 27 years. We often bring our families together for holidays. I am pretty darn sure that without meditation I’d never have developed the empathy, balance or humility necessary to help build a family out of a very difficult beginning.
Mindfulness Resources for Beginners
“10% Happier” by Dan Harris
- How I tamed the voice in my head, reduced stress without losing my edge and found self-help that actually worked. A true story.
- ABC News anchor Dan Harris was a huge meditation skeptic and this autobiographical account is a gripping and highly entertaining read of his journey toward meditation.
“The Miracle of Mindfulness” by Thich Nhat Hanh
- An introduction to the practice of Meditation
- Hanh is world renowned for creating simple, practical concepts we can apply to our daily lives.
“Why can’t I meditate?” by Nigel Wellings
- How to get your mindfulness practice on track
- A guide to overcoming the challenges with starting or maintaining a practice from a longtime mindfulness teacher.
10% Happier: Consistently promoting himself as a meditation skeptic, Dan Harris’ app is filled with guided meditations, interviews and courses and is an excellent follow on to his best selling books.
Headspace: Advertised as a gym membership for your brain, this app teaches all of the basics of meditation, offering a variety of programs and guided meditations from 2 minutes to an hour.